Week at a Glance: May 20-24, 2019
Highlights of the week:
- Our school store opens this week to reinforce social studies vocabulary words. Please send in any empty boxes or plastic containers of cereal, waffles, Pringle’s cans, or any emptied food products for our first store. All items are due on Wednesday. Thanks so much!
- IReady diagnosting testing takes place on Monday for Reading and Wednesday for Math. This is our final round of testing for first grade.
- All school Mass on Tuesday with ribbon ceremony for 8th grade following.
- Thursday 12:30 band concert- all school will attend.
- Friday Pep Rally- Ice cream party for all students! This is our final treat party for the April and May book club. Good job everyone getting all your projects completed! Students will participate in their game and conclude the day with an ice cream party! Thanks to our room moms for setting this up for us!
Also: Scholastic book order due Monday- thanks for your participation all year! Our classroom library has grown due to your generosity- we are grateful!
Math: Completing our Chapter 12 on 2D Shapes-
- Lesson 12.7- Decompose 2D shapes into parts
- Lesson 12.8- Identifying equal and unequal parts (or shapes) in 2D shapes
- Lesson 12.9- Partition circles and rectangles into 2 equal shares
- Lesson 12.10- Partition circles and rectangles into 4 equal shares
- Simple Solutions Math- Monday-Thursday; a spiral review of skills learned
- Calendar work with counting by 2’s, (odd/even),5’s, 10’s
- Games on the iPad (IXL)
- Team in Task math enrichment games/ Math Scoot game
- Simple Solutions Science-
- Scholastic News- we completed the Shark edition on Friday and learned different types of sharks and also learned how cartilage plays an important role in their movement and ability to catch prey. This week we’ll discover more about A Trip to the Moon - children will examine the properties of the sun and it’s power.
- Plants! Our green bean plants have taken off! They will be going home early this week for your to plant in a garden or transplant in a small pot if you wish. Thanks to LHS for your donations! Thanks to all the first graders who really cared for all the plants by daily check-ins and watering the plants daily! Pretty soon, we’ll have a beanstalk in our room!
Language Arts: Spelling, Phonics, Conventions, SeeSaw, Shared Writing
Spelling words: slowly, useful, sadly, wonderful, careful, painful, gladly, quickly, playful, nicely-
Amazing words: discover, resident, admire, substantial, dwell, welcome, sadness, tremendous-
High Frequency Words- across, only, told, because, opened, dance, shoes
Academic Vocabulary: directions, cause, effect, compound words, realistic fiction, alphabetical order, characters, plot, setting, vowel, suffix, poem, rhyming/ rhyming words, rhythm
Selection Vocabulary: gargoyle, heart, shiny, tuxedo, waltz
- Segment and blend 2 syllables words
- Segment and blend phonemes
- Change phonemes
- Suffixes- /ly/, and /ful/: hopeful, shiny
- Vowel sound in moon /oo/
- Decodable readers highlighting skills of the week
- Build words/ blend and read
- Review compound words
- Review digraphs: /ew/, /ue/, /ui/
- Fluent word reading
Adjectives that compare: Comparative adjectives compare, or show likenesses and differences between two people, animals, places, or things (nouns). Superlative adjectives compare three or more persons, animals, or things. These adjectives usually end with /er/ and /est/
- Simple Solutions Grammar book: Monday- Thursday:spiral review of skills learned in phonics and grammar.
Monday- Write how to make a gift or plan a fun activity to surprise someone
Tuesday- Henry and Mudge- What costumes would you like to play with?
Wednesday- Henry and Mudge- What treasures can you share with your neighbor?
Thursday- Henry and Mudge- What is your favorite part about Mrs. Hopper?
Friday- Henry and Mudge- What would you change Henry and Mudge into with costumes?
Monday- Tuesday- Draft/ Revise a 2nd personal narrative about favorite memories of first grade. The 1st edited version was so good, I thought we should practice another personal narrative utilizing: introduction sentence, topic sentence, 4 “tell me more” sentences and closing sentence.
Wednesday- Friday:Super Kid- We have to interview our final round of kids before school ends.
Reading: Unit 4 Week 6 (Our last week of this unit)
This is the last week of this unit therefore the students will take the unit test on the iPad beginning next week.
Question of the week: What treasures can we share with our neighbor?
Genre: Realistic fiction: Henry and Mudge and Mrs. Hopper’s House/ paired selection; genre: poetry- Poetry in reading
Children will understand that neighbors can share:
- Friendship and good times
- Pride in their community
- Food and other resources
Text based comprehension: cause and effect; predict and set purpose
Literary Text: sensory details
Fluency: expression and intonation
Vocabulary: high Frequency and selection words
Social Studies: First grade will open a school shopping store to practice and put into action our vocabulary words: wants, needs, service, goods, consumer and producer, buying and selling, market, job, choice, exchange and scarce. The students will be discussing: how to run our store, jobs needed, dividing the room into important sections of the store and how the store will run. Thursday and Friday will put all our ideas together to open our store and students will take turns being consumers and producers. Thanks for all your contributions with emptied cartons and boxes to help! I’m thrilled the students are so excited about the store. I want them to manage this as best as they can to feel an intricate part of the store working.
Religion: Session 15- Celebrating Christmas:
We celebrate the birth of Jesus!
- Explain that Jesus is the Son of God who came to save us.
- Discuss that we celebrate the birth of Jesus during the Christmas season!
- Define celebrant, Christmas, and Son of God.
- The Church recognized Jesus as the true light of the world, who brings us the eternal joy of the Kingdom of Heaven.
- May songs: Immaculate Mary, Gentle Woman- Holy Woman and other songs devoted to Mary.
- Daily prayers, devotions and intentions.
- All School Mass on Tuesday w/ 8th grade ribbon ceremony.