St. Joseph Catholic School
Snack Time Guidelines
Why do we have snack time?
Most children and teens need to eat every three to four hours throughout the day to fuel their growing, active bodies and to meet their My Plate daily food plan. This translates into the following:
- Younger students need to eat three meals and at least two snacks a day (one during school hours).
- Older students need to eat three meals and at least one snack a day (they may need two snacks if they're going through a growth spurt or if they are very physically active).
- Daily snack is permitted in all grades (teacher to decide what time works best with their schedule and not too close to the students’ lunch period).
- Refillable water bottles are permitted for all students. In an effort to ‘go green’ please do not send disposable water bottles.
- Snack for "snack time" needs to be nut free, as almost every classroom has a nut allergy.
Healthy Snack Options
- Proportions should be appropriate for child’s age.
- Easy, convenient, and dry snack highly suggested
- Preferably healthy (please avoid sending foods with a high sugar content)
Fresh cut vegetables
Cheese and crackers
Click here for more ideas: The Super Easy Healthy Snack Guide
Thank you for your cooperation in keeping our students healthy and safe.
Please feel free to contact Mrs. Wegener, the school nurse, with questions or concerns.